Sunday, April 27, 2014

You Are The Best Person I Know

I received an email a few hours ago that was short - just one sentence - but it made my entire day. It will probably make my week, too.

It said this: "Dear Anita, you are the best person I know, and you have a nice laugh."

It was from my 10-year-old nephew and godson J., with whom I've forged a bond that, according to my sister (who is his mom), no other adult has. He's a good kid, and like so many other youngsters, is challenged by a few things in life.

J. is adopted, which I mention here not as a familial distinction, as he is in my heart as firmly as every other child in my family. I say so because this poor boy was subjected to some things by his biological mother in utero that affected his ability to learn easily and socialize and manage his emotions. He can be a handful. And he can be vulnerable and sweet and thoughtful, too. It's this side of him, I know, that the one sentence came from. That one sentence that cracked my heart open when I read it on my phone, and that made me sit down and write this as soon as I walked in my front door.

How easy it is to make someone feel great just by telling them something we see about them. We need more of that in this world! We need to give it to each other! So even if I don't know you well, and even if I've never heard you chuckle, I know you must be a good egg with a sense of humor, because you've read this far. That's why this one's for you: right now, you are the best person I know, and you have a nice laugh. Oh, and you have great taste in blogs, too.



© 2014 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie

2 comments: