Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Who Loves Ya, Baby? (I do.)

It's a few days before Thanksgiving, and in addition to planning out the menu for the Big Day in my mind, I'm also thinking about all the things I'm "gifted" with. I do this every morning, so Thanksgiving is an added prompt, but let me give you the rundown: the fact that I have transportation, shelter, and nutrition, of course. There's good health and good fortune (and the ability to cope when the fortune is not so good!). And in this moment, for this post, I want to focus on my family and friends...because I have the best, most loving, funny, kind, quirky, soulful people in my life.

There's a term I just learned about"ubuntu"that is supposed to have originated long ago in South Africa. I've seen a few definitions for it that are all lovely, such as "connection, community, and mutual caring for all," "human kindness," or "I am; because of you." The one I love best is a variation on that last one: “I am what I am because of who we all are.”

It also mirrors one of my very favorite quotes, that has become a guiding principle in my life. From George Eliot: “What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?” We're here to make each other better, to learn more, to do more, to grow our souls and hearts and minds. 

Thanksgiving is a time for us to take stock of what we have—and who we have!—that makes life so remarkable. It's also a time for us to ask what we can do for someone else; to ponder some changes we can make to ease someone else's journey; to consider how to raise our game to be a better friend, spouse, parent, sibling, child, relative, citizen, employee or employer; not just for a month or two, but for the rest of our lives. 

I know that I am who I am, that I have what surrounds me in material goods, that the level of  intelligence and humor and compassion I have reached is because of the people whose paths I have crossed, or who have walked beside me for a time. I share with you the concept of ubuntu in this holiday season, and thank you for the part you have played in my life: I am what I am because of who we all are. 
 
 

© 2014 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie


No comments:

Post a Comment