Monday, February 2, 2015

How I Found Feng Shui Quite By Accident

Author Christopher Hitchens said, "Everybody has a book in them, but in most cases that's where it should stay." What does he know? Mine's giving me contractions, and they're coming every month now. This baby wants to be born.

Early this year, I made a big pronouncement: I'm going to tackle my book in 2015. After all, I already have my author photo ready. Now I just need about 65,000 words, charmingly rendered and placed in the proper sequence, and I'm done.

But first, I needed to re-seat myself, home-office-wise. My traditional office is in a great loft space in my house; I have always been able to work there easily. But for some reason, it didn't feel like the best setting for a book project in addition to my business writing. So I picked a spare bedroom, one that has been the repository for all things without a resting place, that was quickly heading toward becoming an extra closet. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Hoffa was in there at some point.

One week and one new desk later, I am cheerfully ensconced in my fresh and sunny office. Seriously: the paint color is named "Sunny." (These things aren't coincidences, you know.) It's got great natural light, and good juju. It has even been blessed by Peaches, the walking definition of feline bitchiness who doesn't like anything, but who has joined me to sleep hours away every day on the big sage ottoman I almost gave away—but which, of course, fits perfectly in this new place. (These things aren't coincidences, you know.)

It feels incredible. I can't wait to be in here in the mornings, and I haven't been this kind of happy in a very long time. And then I realized: I feng shui-ed myself with my office and I didn't even try! I have created a harmony between myself and my environment that is completely organic. (Aha! I've been wanting to use "organic" in a sentence unrelated to spinach, and I have done it!) 

So now I have my author's picture, and the perfect place to write, and if I can find a way to work this blog content into my book, I only have about 64,600 words more to go. (These things aren't coincidences, you know.)

© 2015 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie



No comments:

Post a Comment