Sunday, April 12, 2015

In Praise of Small Hardware Stores

Christopher's in Olney, MD.
I have always loved hardware stores, and there's something about a mom and pop establishment that brings out the handyman (uh, rather, handywoman) in me. Sure, the big stores are great for buying grills and outdoor furniture sets and circular saws, but give me a compact, family-run store every time for the small stuff.

I like walking in the door and smelling something earthy. (Peat moss? Do they still have peat moss?) I like the fact that the aisles are short, and you don't have to scan a mile's worth of five million kinds of doodads to get the one thing you need. I like knowing that at least some of the fresh-faced and very friendly workers are part of the family behind the name on the sign.

Even though all I needed today was a $5.00 flapper for my toilet, I was treated like a valued guest. Which made me buy two sets of chargers for my iPhone at the checkout. And some Dubble Bubble gum out of a big glass jar. And ensured that, like Arnold Schwarzenegger long before he got all creepy and we found out he had a secret kid, I'll be back.

© 2015 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie

No comments:

Post a Comment