Friday, April 19, 2013

Taking Early "Rewirement"

Wish me luck! Today is the last day of a work relationship I have had with my professional association for 34 years. I'm not retiring; no way - not yet. I'm taking a gigantic leap of faith and jumping off into the stratosphere on a wing and a prayer. Well, to be honest, not even the wing. Just the prayer.

I have the heart of an entrepreneur, and I came up with (what I think is) a great idea for communications professionals like me last May, and so far have only laid the groundwork for this initiative. I just haven't had the time or juice to pursue it while I'm working a demanding full-time job. So, with another birthday just around the corner, and my inner voice whispering to me that I'm not getting any younger, and if someone else ups and creates this business instead of me I'm going to be pretty sorry, I (gasp!) resigned from my wonderful job with my amazing employees and colleagues, and I'm going to get this done.

I have a business colleague to thank for the spin on my new career choice. She sent me a note and said, "Best wishes in your rewirement!" And, with all the love that I have for a clever twist on language, I am adopting that term as my own.

I'm scared, but it's "good scared" just enough to move myself along briskly and with purpose. But mostly I'm excited, with all the exhilaration that comes from letting go of all the "can'ts" and "don'ts" and seeing only the possibilities that a big change can bring. And I'm not just an entrepreneur anymore. I'm also a "career electrician," the kind of professional who is learning to do all of my own rewiring. You know, for my rewirement.

©2013 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie   

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck in your new life!! You made the leap and you're an inspiration for those of us who needed the push:-) Thanks! Hope we can now make time to get together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie - we will definitely make that time. You're rewiring too, right? :)

    ReplyDelete