Friday, April 5, 2013

WWF: Is There a 12-step Program?

My name is Anita and I am an addict. A Words With Friends addict.

A couple of years ago, Lori K.N. invited me to play WWF (Bless you, Lori! Damn you, Lori!), setting off a chain of events that showed me the addictive personality lurking inside me. I have always loved Scrabble, WWF's parent. How could I not? Avid reader since I was a child, sneaking an extra hour of a favorite book under my covers with a flashlight; English major; communications professional: words are woven into the fabric of my life.

So when Lori reached out with that gateway drug - "Just one game, come ON, Anita, it's easy!" - I didn't see the road ahead of me. That I would embark on an odyssey that would lead me to playing 15 games at a time; that would cause one person to unfriend me on Facebook, that would have me using words like "za" and "xu" and "vrow," and that would prompt me - gasp! - to strike up games with total strangers just to get my word high.

I am ashamed. I know I need to get this in check. This can't be good, all this spelling and triple-word-score-lusting-after. I will stop. Next week. I can stop anytime, really. Hey, you, over by the coffee and donuts - have you played before? Wanna have a game?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Anita,

    I can completely empathise with this. My son introduced me to Ruzzle during my last trip to NYC and I love/hate it at the same time.
    It is entirely true that games like this are entirely engrossing. I am totally addicted and I cannot leave it alone.

    Definitely will check out A Word With Friends and perhaps you can check out Ruzzle

    - If we can spread out the loorve maybe we can beat this thing.

    Kx

    P.S. My new fav word "aa"

    "Really?" I hear you say.

    "Yes, according to Ruzzle!" K

    ReplyDelete