Thursday, May 23, 2013

Premature Articulation

As a communicator by trade, I'm pretty careful about the way I compose just about everything I write - even quick emails and throwaway notes usually get more of a business focus from me. So it makes me crazy when I accidentally send one before it's a perfect little slice of information.

You know what I'm talking about: premature articulation. Hey, there's nothing shameful about it. Sometimes it occurs when you least expect it; when you really thought you were going to be able to finish an entire letter. Or it might happen because you're just so enthusiastic about the person who will receive your note that you hit "send" out of sheer happiness.

And it doesn't just happen electronically. Oh, noooooo. Despite my penchant for diplomacy with the written word, I've done it in conversation when I didn't have the opportunity to edit myself, like the time I told my colleague of just a few weeks, "Those are nice shoes. They're not like the ones you usually wear." Or told another friend that she could surely figure out how to develop a simple web site, because "lots of people who are stupider than you have done it."

Yes, I confess. I am, on occasion, a premature articulator. But I don't want that to be a problem in my relationship with you, readers. And I'm hoping that you'll be gracious if that ever happens between us, and act like it's not a big deal, that it happens to everyone once in a while, that you didn't feel like reading a complete blog post after all, and suggest that maybe we should just use this time to cuddle. 



© 2013 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie

No comments:

Post a Comment