Sunday, January 11, 2015

Who Will You Call?

Around the middle of last year, a friend called with the sad news she had terminal cancer, with only months left to live. And then she said something that went straight to my heart: "I wanted to tell you that I loved knowing you." It was one of the most powerful and caring actions I've ever experienced. 

She made it easy for me to tell her what she'd meant to me as well, and though it might have been an awkward conversation for some, it was anything but that between us. She said she had lived a wonderful life and had been, and was, happy. She was one of my first role models in business, and though we were on separate coasts and didn't see each other often, ours was a friendship that picked up readily when we connected. It made me wonder who I would call if I were told my life was going to be shorter than I expected.

I have friends who make me laugh, who make me think, who startle me with their kindness, who are remarkably intelligent and talented, who have educated me and learned with me, without whom my life would be less colorful and mindful. And now I know: I will call them all. 

Thank you for this lesson, my sweet friend, for teaching me how to say goodbye with grace and peace and happiness. And let me say this once again: I loved knowing you, too. 


© 2015 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie

2 comments:

  1. Anita. Yes. Life well lived elicits love well said. Feel my arm across your shoulders. Feel the squeeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mickey - I didn't see this until just now. Thanks for reading and commenting (and being sweet).

    ReplyDelete