Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Why I Need Two Suitcases


It's fun to get away. I like the simplicity and predictability of a hotel room, or the interesting not-mineness of someone's guest room. I have even learned not to take 20 pairs of shoes when I travel, which was a big change for me, requiring hours of therapy and a Zappos patch to ease out of the addiction.

But even after kicking the shoe habit, I can't stop taking two suitcases with me on a trip. And here's why: I keep thinking I'm going to live the life I don't lead at home out of my luggage on the road. I take a friend's manuscript I've been meaning to read and comment on. I take that four-step skin system I bought from my dermatologist that I stopped using after a week or two, so I can get in the habit of doing it. (I don't. Ever. I'm stuck at the cleanser stage.) I take the yoga video I don't watch in my own living room but somehow think I will pop into my laptop and pose with, quietly, in someone's home before they wake up.  And a few other things that guilt me out in my own habitat and give me the sense I'm making progress if I bring them with me. Oh, and since there's usually a little space left, a few more pairs of shoes. (Recovery is a process, after all.)

Well, I'd better go. It's time to pack again, and I have to figure out how to get my sewing machine and fabric in my second suitcase. You know, to make those pillow covers I can't get to at home.

© 2015 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie

No comments:

Post a Comment