Tuesday, April 26, 2016

McMuffins and Marines

I told him I'd pick him up at 8:30 on the morning of one of the primary voting days in his county. When I drove up, there was my father, sitting on his rolling walker in the sun to the right of his driveway: all nine decades of him, with the pilled and saggy sweater that he won't give up, the huge '80s glasses that are "still perfectly good," and one of the many baseball caps he started wearing out of embarrassment just a few years ago when his beautiful head of hair finally thinned out.

He'd insisted on going to vote early in the morning, to beat the crowd he was so certain would be there. (I knew otherwise, but I agreed that it was probably good to get a jump on the other voters. You know how everyone's always elbowing each other out of line to vote in the primaries.) When I got out to help him into the car, he said, "There might be too much traffic right now. Want to go to McDonald's and get breakfast first?"
 
Once there, he headed toward the condiments section to grab enough napkins for 40 people. I sat him down at a lime-green table, folded up his walker and put it aside, and went to get our order. Shortly after I returned, a tall gentleman, around 80, stopped by the table and introduced himself as "Rick," then asked if my dad had been in the service. "6th Marine Division," said my father. "29th Regiment." Rick smiled and winked, said, "I hate Marines," and then pulled out a colorful coin and popped it down on the table. "Ah, Master Sergeant," said my father, who saw at a glance what the coin meant. "Yep, career marine," says our new friend, pulling up his shirt so my father could see his belt buckle with the eagle, globe and anchor insignia. "Enjoy your breakfast!" And with that, he moved on, the Mayor of McDonald's, meeting and greeting his McCitizens.

With my father fed and ready to vote, I install him once more in my car and turn on the ignition. There's a knocking at my window. It's Rick, so I lower the glass and he says to my father, "We're up here 8-10 every morning but Sunday, me and some other guys who were in the service. We're all in our 70s and 80s. You should come sit with us once in awhile."

The look on my father's face - this man who has lost his wife and all of his contemporaries, who is so lonely despite the best efforts of his four daughters - was a gift. You bet I'll get him up there.

© 2016 A Bit of Brie/Anitabrie 

12 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely get him there. He will have some great tales to share with you later! God Bless Rick for reaching out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know when he has his first visit with "the guys," Lori!

      Delete
  2. And God bless you for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mickey - it's an honor to be present for moments like this.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet - these are nice moments, when strangers become friends.

      Delete
  4. heartwarming.....Please bring him back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely bringing him back! Taking him next Tuesday!

      Delete
  5. My Dad had his own McBuddies that he shared coffee and camaraderie with every weekday morning before work. At 74, he was still actively working until God and nature had other plans.

    On the day he died, I stayed with my Mother so that she would not spend her first night without him alone. In her grief, she was worried that his McBuddies would worry when he didn't show up; so on little sleep and too many tears, I went to McDonald's the next morning to search for a group of men with which my Dad had started every morning. (Do you have any idea how many groups of men meet at McDonald's every morning?!) After several tries, I found HIS McBuddies and broke my sad news and for the next several hours, they shared with me coffee and stories about my Dad that I would have never known.

    Many days later, at his viewing, a beautiful bouquet arrived, simply signed, "Thanks for the good times, Your McBuddies."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, I just saw this note of yours on my blog. What a lovely story – thank you for leaving it here.

    ReplyDelete